Why do the fairways look spotty?
- In previous seasons ryegrass had contaminated some of our fairways.
- Rye is undesirable as a fairway grass both aesthetically (dark green color) and agronomically (is less tolerant of environmental extremes).
- We have continually tried to minimize the ryegrass contamination, however elimination of the ryegrass through chemical control has been ineffective.
- The ryegrass was unable to withstand the extreme low temperatures this past winter which has resulted in some turf loss. The bent grass withstood the winter weather and remains healthy.
- While turf loss is always undesirable this actually presents an opportunity to improve the appearance of our fairways.
- We will be seeding bent grass the week of April 14 and will consider sod in select areas.
- When soil temperatures rise to promote germination, the spots will begin to fill in.
- Our goal is to have the fairways fully recovered by early May.
John Temme and Green Committee